Agata's old Salomon Crossmax were completely shot at over 500Km running and so after essential research we ordered the XA Pro from Chain Reaction UK (62GBP + Import Duty + 8% Swiss VAT)
As usual you can save money ordering the SS (Spring Summer) shoe instead of the AW (Autumn Winter) shoe once you have checked the only difference is the colour!
To test out the shoes we decided to venture on a 30 minute journey from our home in Lausanne Switzerland to Saint Cergue
We found this Swiss town, small, quiet and they are building new apartments if you are interested! Transport links from the Motorway are via a 10Km twisty mountain road, which seems to be a racetrack for local bikers.
For this experiment Marcus was wearing his uncomfortable ultra lightweight Salmon S-Lab shoes. For our 20Km test run I thought it would be okay
Our whole route was dominated by beautiful scenery and also a lot of cows!
The route is described below but you can see that the first half was basically up, up and up.
We've just come from there
More contented cows
Marcus wears his cycling top because lot of pockets in the back for food!
Next the big descent and then home to dinner!
Agata's mini review
- At the 62 GBP price these shoes are bonkersly good value
- Also available from Zalando for about 170CHF in Switzerland
- The shoes are stiff on tarmac as one might expect because the soles are structured for mountain trails of grass and/ or stone
- As usual Salomon grip on wet/ damp surfaces was appalling (both these shoes and Marcus's s-lab)
- The shoes in size 39 are 360 grams each - quite heavy
- As with other elite Salomon shoes the tongue is not loose but extends down to the shoe sole base to form a sort of upside down U shaped sock for the foot
- The quick lacing system is excellent as usual. You can quickly adjust tension say before a steep descent almost without stopping. Much superior to laces
- The shoe can be easily washed after a trail run and then hung out to dry, the quicklace system helps.
- The shoes are narrower than I expected at the front, still okay for me, just.
The almost pedestrian pace today (see heart rate) was due to quite severe pains on Marcus's right side that started last week. Probably I should not have run at all, but I had to try. Agata was very diplomatic and kept waiting for me to catch her up with just smiles of encouragement.
We have taken to loading up Agata's Garmin Fenix 2 watch with an exact trail route. It displays the track in dots on the screen with any turns etc. It's a bit of work but it means that it's impossible to get lost when the trail signs can't be found. This happened on multiple occasions on this run.
Salomon XA Pro 3D Womens Shoes SS14
Salomon XA Pro 3D in CH Zalando