The Verge: Apple event in 9 minutes
I'm starting with this Verge condensed 9 minute summary because I have to. More of that later.
Today, Tuesday October 30, 2018 Apple held a fine and interesting Hardware Announcement in NYC (New York City)
2018 Mac Mini
2018 iPad Pro
The Technical Details
Anandtech: Mac Mini
Anandtech: Macbook Air
Anandtech: iPad Pro
The Overdue & Thoughts
As somebody who has spent considerable (of my own & not my employers) money on Apple products I comment ...
- Mac Mini with 10 GbE option: impressive
- Mac Mini with removable memory SO DIMMS again.
- iPad Pro has a USB-C physical interface. Wahoo. Lightening is deader than ever.
- iPad Pro no headphone jack
- MacBook Air has a touchID sensor on top right keyboard
- MacBook Air has low power Intel i5-8210Y Dual Core 7W processing, so browsing yes, video editing no.
- MacBook Air complicates the laptop line. Personally the weight/ function/ size difference over the MacBook Pro are so irrelevant that I struggle to see the point of the new Air at all
- For both the Air and Mac Mini we all realise that Apple have basically 'not given a sh**' about these product lines for >4 years now. So whilst it is a relief that the range is at last refreshed one has to remember about their past continued indifference. I can't help feeling the refresh is in-spite of customer requests not because of.
- I configured the ultimate 2018 Mac Mini just for fun. Just remember fanboys, Apple tells us it's (total cost of ownership is ) cheaper than a similarly spec'd Windows computer :-)
- For all 3 product announces I feel that if you spec up the machine you would desire the price jumps way past the entry level, which on its own was not cheap. In which case you end up with something desirable and at undesirable price.
Once again just to piss people off Apple decided not to YouTube livestream the event but put a link onto apple.com here
So I had to watch it, albeit at 4K TV resolution via a web browser. Bloody Apple. At the time of writing it is still not available on YouTube. Shortly no doubt it will make the Apple YouTuebe channel
Despite these criticisms I cannot deny that the Beauty and professionalism of the event was something to behold. The words used, the Presentation, the videos shown, and even the musical ending. Just perfection.
I'm most impressed by the 2018 Apple Mac Mini, a non expandable but ultra compact mobile powerhouse that could satisfy the computing requirements of Mr & Mrs Demanding (but not Mr & Mrs Enthusiast).
ADC iPad Pro
MKBHD iPad Pro
Brian Tong's Review
NB: Thursday AM update. Event on Youtube only now