This is both a review of the Brother 1222 printer but also a plea to those reading not to print anything except in an emergency
Stop the Printing
In 2017; Print is just behind the Fax machine in terms of obsolescence.
In the Marcus and Agata household we absolutely try never to print anything. As such
- All correspondence is Electronic i.e. email whenever possible
- If there is a convenient paper free alternative to printing e.g. Online Airline boarding passes, we participate
- Even for exhibition entries and the like: bar-codes may be printed to a PDF or similar that you can store on the phone. No real need to print out the form on paper.
Meanwhile: the Brother
In 2016 we were so impressed with the Brother HL-3140CW printer that the Brother brand was top of our consideration list for a really ultra economical entry-level printer.
The outgoing Lexmark is so old that it could have entered a museum. The Brother HL-1222WE is a
- Monochrome Laser Printer
- Print speed: up to 20 ppm.
- Built-in USB and WiFi b/g/n
- Starter toner capacity of 1,500 pages
- The first page in less than 10 seconds
- The toner cartridge TN-1090 and the drum unit as separate components.
- 3-year warranty
- We paid about 80 GBP equivalent
We feel that for those emergency printouts, which I can tell you are almost non existent these days, this sub 100 GBP monochrome printer is pretty adequate.
Since in this household we are printing about 10 pages per month this cartridge will probably last forever!
Rather like we commented yesterday, we live in a time of excess manufacturing, where prices for consumer goods at the entry level are so ridiculously low, if that is all you require, you can really live very cheaply.