Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Pruning the RSS Tree: Zerohedge and Fake News


Subtitle: And in the end

We all like a good joke, don't we?   But this time I feel it is like being at a party with an acquaintance who keeps making deeply racist jokes.

At first you can't quite believe it,  initially you try to make excuses for them.   They have always been gruff and difficult, but now their behaviour has crossed a line.  You come to the conclusion that had you met today you would not be friends and that you'd call them out on their conversation.

And this is how I feel about the ZeroHedge Website.

For years I've recognised it as a flawed yet valuable source of Financial Information and Economic Indicators.   Every day I would battle thru the multiply posted articles trying to be objective and yet being open to some of the radical viewpoints presented.  In other words not just reading articles that were in line with my current thinking and world view.

So what has changed?

What changed for me, is that against my moderate, and logical world view, the number of 'deeply offensive' and 'patently false' articles presented has reached epic proportions.

If say only 1 in 5 articles make me uncomfortable then it's feasible to soldier on but when it's more like 9 out of 10 then it's time to pause.

My daily news feed on life is delivered thru Feedly  RSS and so was a 10 second task to move the ZeroHedge feed  to my junk folder that, is usually cleared without reading daily, unless on a lax day, I have extra time and I've read thru the 500+ other articles from the main feeds.

  


Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me






Logical Fallacies

Zerohedge contributors, if they cared about accuracy, and not sensationalism or actually trying to cause offence, they might consider the above Logical Fallacies chart.

If you have to print out one chart and stick it on the wall at home or at work, let it be this one!