Thursday, December 22, 2016

Home: Where I want to be




Belle Starr: This must be the Place


Subtitle: Getting Ready for a Move

Over the last 12 months Marcus and Agata have been re-evaluating our lives in Switzerland, based predominantly on Cost  (the High Cost) but also on many other factors.

Whilst Switzerland will probably rank as the best country in the world that we will ever live in for the purposes of exercise,  fitness and healthy living it is below par on some other factors.

I'll just name two for the record: Smugness and [Poor] Service.

So we continue to plan our soft exit from this Beautiful Country, perhaps with the option to return, if we feel that despite the setbacks it is the bestest country in the World.

Marcus wanted to go into detail about what we might be moving into, but I'll avoid specifics and just say that this classic Talking Heads song had some lines that had me singing along to.   Enjoy the videos, the lyrics and if / when we do finally move we will communicate:

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me around
I feel numb, burn with a weak heart
Guess I must be having fun

The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground, head in the sky
It's okay, I know nothing's wrong, nothing

I got plenty of time
You got light in your eyes
And you're standing here beside me
I love the passing of time
Never for money, always for love
Cover up and say goodnight, say goodnight

Home, is where I want to be
But I guess I'm already there
I come home, she lifted up her wings
I guess that this must be the place

I can't tell one from the other
I find you, or you find me?
There was a time before we were born
If someone asks, this is where I'll be, where I'll be

We drift in and out
Sing into my mouth
Out of all those kinds of people
You got a face with a view

I'm just an animal looking for a home
And share the same space for a minute or two
And you love me till my heart stops
Love me till I'm dead

Eyes that light up
Eyes look through you
Cover up the blank spots
Hit me on the head

Our New Home Ideally will have ...

01 Lock Up and Leave
We can disappear for months secure in the knowledge that things are likely to be okay when we return

02 Quiet
Private so that we can relax without excessive road or people noise

03 Safe
This means being able to be at home or in the local neighbourhood and not fear for your life, or have to take draconian safeguards to protect your life and liberty

04 Transport
Ability to get to road, rail and air links with ease

05 Sizing
Means not too large that would be excessive for our needs yet not too small so that for example if a guest couple arrives they cannot be accommodated

06 Special Needs
We'd like somewhere to park our Motorhome and somewhere secure to Park our bicycles and do maintenance on them

07 Garage
Somewhere for that cherished car to be kept nice and warm and safe whatever the weather outside

08 Dry
Not in a Flood Zone.  We never want to think:  but what happens if that local river bank bursts

09 English
Somewhere where English can be spoken without resentment

10 Post
A country where modern postal services like Amazon Prime exists and an efficient postal service can deliver Internet packages without error and constant Import Duty

11 Countryside
Road and Terrain that support our passion for Road Cycling, Road Running, Trail Running and infrastructure for Swimming.



Resources


Check the Right panel of our Blog under the /Property/ heading for useful checker links




Talking Heads: Naive Melody






Links
Property Shame
A tale of 2 Agents
Paradise