Sunday, April 10, 2016

USB 3.1 Type C DIsk Adapter



This is a test of the USB 3.1 SATA III disk adapter for 2.5 inch hard disks.

It is a continuing story of our migration to USB 3.1, and to be specific we are using a Type C card which is claimed to a 10 Gbps card, i.e. USB 3.1 Type C Generation 2.  It is reviewed here

To see if things are really any faster I ran some benchmarks first on this new USB 3.1 interface  and then secondly on my existing 2014 genre Orico 6518 docking station

Note that despite frequent and intensive eBay searching I'm only able to find one, ugly and not convincing USB 3.1 hard Disk dock for 2.5 and 3.5 " drives.  (Silverstone Taiwan now has something interesting, but right now too rich for me)

So, until there is more of a selection products like that shown above represent the practical entirely of the USB Type C disk adapter space, namely only good for 2.5" hard disks.   Hmmm.

USB 31 Adapter results
Disk used was a 480GB Crucial BX200 SSD.














USB 30 Orico Adapter comparison








Direct Connection
I also tested the BX200 disk by direct connection to a server Motherboard SATA III port and the results are here


Results
Logical!   Indeed the 2016 genre, USB 3.1 Type C connected disk dock, beats my 2014 Genre USB 3.0 5Gbps dock.

Of course the dock is irritatingly slower than the directly SATA III motherboard connection, but hey, I was expecting that.

The petite dimensions of this adapter and cable are impressive and so it is now my go-to way of connecting 2.5 inch drives, spinning and non spinning into any of my computers  with USB Type C interfaces.  And using other cable to any USB 3.0 or 2.0 device port.