Monday, February 01, 2016

Growing up with Chomsky, Backus and Naur



Computerphile: Angle Brackets

I don't know what students study in Engineering or Computer Science today but when I was a /Geek in training/ I grew up with Angle Brackets.   This video explains the parentage and links it to my other favourite stalwarts GML, SGML and now XML.



Growing Up Geek
In Marcus's younger years growing up Geek or as my best friend called it Super Techy, was a hard won, unfashionable badge of honour.  Many hours were spent researching, reading, and understanding.  Today the Greek criteria has usually devolved to:  buying an item   (so you need money) and then shooting a Youtube video about it's operation.     It's all so wrong.





John Finnemore: Geeks

I could not have said it better.



Recommended
John Finnemore's Souvenir Program
The Chomsky Hierarchy
The Halting Problem