Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Farewell to Nexy

Spice Girls: Goodbye


Subtitle: I still have the memories

This Tuesday afternoon I bid what I regard as a sad farewell to my Nexus 5 smartphone.



Now some people just don't understand how anybody could become sentimental over a phone, or of its disposal.  So I am going to explain that here.

The Nexus 5 and I, or Nexy as it was named have gone thru some tough times.  And ultimately in its retirement   (since it was the backup phone) he mostly sat at home, resting gently in the drawer.

Even in 2016 it remains a super fast phone to me.  I don't really notice the difference to my newer Android phone in terms of speed.





Being a Google Nexus it runs the very very latest version of Android.  6.0.1 with all the bells and whistles.

Everything works great, the Bluetooth and the Wireless and the Phone itself.  And the 4G is still faster than my current phone.   Usually over 60 Mbits/sec download.  On a phone!  I repeat on a cellular, not Wi-Fi connection.  On a 2 year+ old phone.


We went thru a sticky patch in our relationship when the charging circuit broke down after just 6 months and when seller Digitec passed it to the official repairer (Mobiletech AG), they refused to repair it.  They claimed water damage, but when I opened it up later, well it was not.  And so when I replaced the power circuit ribbon assembly it's been 100% wonderful since, charging at over 1 Amp using my special USB cable.

From Youtube, to my beloved BBC iPlayer Radio, to Spotify, or Google Locations it really runs every application that I need, bar none.


So yes, I am really going to miss Nexy and I hope the new owner, who is getting the phone for peanuts ( < 60 GBP ) appreciates what a bargain and capable phone they will be receiving and continues to treat you kindly.






Feder: Goodbye feat. Lyse


Links
Nexus 5 is alive
Rooting the Nexus 5
5 days of Nexus 5: Faster
Lollipop on Nexus 5