Saturday, January 16, 2016

Sunday Sermon: The Religious All Nighter


The Young Messiah

Looking back on Christmas one must admit that Christians regard it as their premiere religious festival to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.

Now of course it's also true that the actual birth date within the year is unknown, and also that Christianity absorbed many of the Pagan festivals and customs of the time near Winter Solstice.

But these are minority factors.

About this time then we see a sharp increase in the availability of Christian themed films.  I have this vision, or as I would call it nightmare that I get invited to an 'all nighter' of  these ideological Christian movies, and I'm forced into sit in .. well, disbelief at the programming:







God's Not Dead





God's Not Dead (Part II)  April 2016



The Messengers Box




Eternal Salvation


The Christmas Candle





90 minutes in Heaven


Now all of the above would have me crying, and I don't mean in a /I've been moved way/.  I can only say that if anybody so much as sends me a DVD of any of the above, well they will be off a future Christmas card list at the very least.



Actually Worth a Punt?




The Masked Saint



So what would I be thrilled to attend? For me an invite to a Ricky Gervais spectacular would be the best.   I could start with the Series Derek






Ricky Gervais: Derek


Derek - Complete Box Set [DVD]

Derek on Amazon


Then follow it up with the Animals Standup


Ricky Gervais Live - Animals [2003] [DVD]

Ricky Gervais:Animals




And finally the pièce de résistance

The Invention of Lying

I cannot resist sharing one particularly powerful scene






The Invention of Lying is my pick for best religious movie of all time.



Links
The Invention of Lying (youtube)