Sunday, January 03, 2016

Logitech C920 Webcam


Agata tells me that I may be close to a perfectionist.  However I disagree.  I simply expect people that we video call to have something better than a shitty VGA 640 x 480 webcam.

VGA screen resolution I first remember on the IBM PS/2 computer I bought in 1987.  That is over 15 years ago.  Now although webcams have not kept up with screen resolutions  (I've been trying to find any 4K Webcam for over 1 year now, no deal), to use a VGA webcam on anything but a laptop for video calls with friends I regard as a blatant insult!  There, I said it.

And so, as a Christmas good will measure; I bought a Logitech C920 webcam and took it over personally to perform an upgrade of a frequent caller.   I installed it on Sunday afternoon simply by plugging it into the Windows 10 desktop computer.

Everything worked instantly.  I mean that our primary 2 means of Internet communications namely Skype and Google Hangouts worked like a charm.







The C920 webcam is probably at the top of the Webcam quality tree.  It has a dual stereo microphone, and full HD 1920 x 1080 webcam resolution.

This is the official spec page





Amazon sells it for about 60 GBP here


-  It plugs into any USB 2 port
- There is a unit and a weighted clasp designed to sit on top of a monitor
- I use it all the time for video calls with Skype and Google Hangouts.


Some Notes

- There has been a recent price crash from retailers.  It could mean at last that this 4 year old design will be replaced by a higher quality unit?
- CES is nearby ... hint!
- Logitech is undergoing a rebranding exercise to Logi, though my unit purchased still says Logitech.
- Logitech also do a C930 which is marginally more expensive but I can't really see any better specifications than for the C920.  Go with the C920
- There is still no 4K webcam anywhere in the world that I can find, so today this is the top of the pile
- MAC OSX users check the limitations when used with your computer.

So overall my donated webcam is working well. The quality is absolutely superb!  Well, I mean it's a large leap forward even over 1280 x 720 pixels, never mind VGA.  The webcam has a stereo microphone so assuming you already have a speaker connection you now don't need headphones for a video call with sound, unless you want some extra privacy.

Recommended