Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A brace of Smartphones






It is now late October and we are surely done with the 2015 round of Smartphone announcements.  I am thinking of a Smartphone upgrade, well, or am I?


Marcus' vintage greats
I am somewhat the victim of good past choices.

Firstly I have the 2013 Nexus 5 (shown above left), now running Android 6, and recently bravely repaired.  It's still a fast, compact, high performance phone, with great battery life.  Great for ultra races, robust and a quality product.

Second the OnePlus One.  With a large display, 13MP camera, recent camera App upgrade, 50Mb/sec+ LTE performance ( in Lausanne), 64GB memory.  Well it's my workhorse.  The 5"+ screen is easy on my eyes and I don't wish for any higher resolution e.g QHD or 4K.


Agata
She is still an iPhone 6 girl.  Despite not spending any money on gadgets since, well I can't remember, she she no great advantage on moving to a 6S for her.



What's new pussycat?


Nexus 5X

Bargain.  Verge review

Nexus 6P


All round performer. Verge Review

Sony Z5

Camera.  Waterproofing. Techradar review 

Asus Zenfone 2 Deluxe

Bargain. MobileTech Review.


Oneplus Two


Meh! Not much over Oneplus One.  Disappointing. Idiot sales model.  Verge Review.



Apple iPhone 6S



For fanboys and Girls.  6S review Verge

Lumia 950 XL

App shortage.  Great Camera?  

Any Change Then?

The essential problem at hand is that I already have 2 excellent Smartphones, running the very latest software, with capabilities I don't every normally exceed.

Probably I have this situation in common with many people

Other than looking /flash/ in front of your friends, or trying to use the phone as some sort of status symbol, neither of which I am interested in, the reason to upgrade one of my phones is absolutely zero.

So, unless anything breaks, or a family member deprives me of a mobile phone, looks to me like I will not buy anything more in 2015.

If I had unlimited funds, and once I'd parted with the current duo,  I would then buy all off

- Nexus 5X,  for races: compact size, Android 6 , reasonable camera
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, to continue trying out Windows Mobile
- Sony Z5 HD  (not 4K), best camera, >5" phone