Saturday, June 13, 2015
The RESTful API
About 2 years ago I was in multiple meetings where the term RESTful API (Application Programming Interface) kept coming up.
Nobody bothered to precisely define it and I erroneously thought it was just a /fancy/ word for API. In other words synonymous for API.
So this morning I came across the definition of REST
Representational State Transfer (REST)
Here is the IBM Redbook which discusses the API for IBM's Enterprise DS8870 Storage System
Exploring the DS8870 RESTful API Implementation
And so here is a good summary from Stackoverflow
So what would I recommend?
- Obviously the overriding principle is, when you realise there is a gap in your knowledge, head to the Internet for a catchup
- Don't be too proud to admit your previous knowledge gap!
- Read the StackOverflow article first
- Read IBM Developerworks on REST
- Then take a look at the IBM redbook, lots of examples.