Ex Machina Trailer
This post is like the film, at first glance simple.
I'd like you to pay for tickets and go and see the film Ex Machina (at the Cinema), or at worst order the DVD/Bluray for home viewing. And right now.
Ex Machina is a film about Artificial Intelligence (AI). Now, a lot of claptrap and negative sentiment has been voiced from the Good and the Great, warning about the potential negative consequences of AI.
Here is a quick summary
- Marcus spent a dedicated 12 month+ period building Lisp/ Prolog AI Engineering systems as part of my Masters [back in the day]
- I've watched the progress of Interactive Search technology. Actually IMHO today it is pretty good, though not in any way thinking, conscious or able to pass the Turing Test
- Amazon Echo, Siri, Cortana, Google Now are examples
+ Film: Transcendence positive about AI
- Stephen Hawking warns about AI
- Elon Musk warns about AI
- Nick Bostrom warns about AI
- Woz warns about AI
But it gets heavy
Philosophers, The Religious, Academics and Intellectuals have different takes, slants or viewpoints on what Consciousness is. And how this singular human facet really sets us apart from other animals.
Apart from the dumbed down religious explanation (God did it, end of thinking, start of wonder) we just cannot all agree on what it is, it's constituent characteristics, and how we come to have it.
And so instead of heavy academics, which you can study later, I suggest an initial journey via Ex Machina.
Why I regard Ex Machina as brilliant
- Beautifully Simple
- Simple location, simple setting
- Layers of meaning
- A shared journey between us the audience; and Caleb
- Something you can watch with friends and then use as a intellectual catalyst for a thoughtful debate.
The Dancing is precisely irrelevant
But the expression on Caleb's (Domhnall Gleeson) face is not
Best Haunting Quote:
One day the AI's are going to look back on us, the same way we look at fossil skeletons on the plains of Africa, an upright Ape, living in dust, with crude language and tools, all set for extinction
If you've created a conscious machine, it's not the history of Man, that's the history of Gods.
Now please, just watch this movie, then discuss
You can ping me your opinion via Google+
imdb Ex Machina
Transcendence: Trailer 1
John Searle and Consciousness
John Searle 1984 Minds Brains Science
Sunday Sermon: Transcendence
Amazon Echo review