This is a review of the Bantam F600DGA motorhome that we recently hired for a mini break (to be documented in the coming weeks).
This is a Fiat Van conversion and is a re-branding of the Pilote Foxy Van
We earlier had hired a Coachbuild motorhome in the UK and this is a test to see if a Van conversion is really more manoeuvrable, faster and less rattling since it is based on a commercial van made from steel sides. A Coachbuild motorhome is a Van base and then a custom, usually plastic walled body on top. More potential for squeaking!
Simple 2 burner stove. We would never need more
Bed can tilt up and be used to dry washing
Dimensions of van extremely compact. Tested up French mountain passes and in town centres.
Anonymous: With small size and dark (not white a la Motorhome colour) this passes as a van most of the time not a Motorhome.
Flimsy cupboards under sink
Door could not close (easily) from inside
Door Cabinet locking hinges flimsy and rattle during transport
Table mounting breaks over time
Dash is basic and average
Only one mains socket so adapter is necessary. Also position is by sink, not ideal.
Took us about 2 hours initially to setup the Thule rear bicycle mount. Thereafter its about 20 mins to dismount and reattach bicycle components (saddles, lights ) before ready to cycle.
Levelling wedges were a bit scary but our first time. Next time it will be easy!
- The Bantam van was manoeuvrable even on the tightest mountain passes
- Dimensions are 6m length, 2.6m height, 2.05 metre width including mirrors.
- It was comfortable to 100Km/h on the Motorway using the 130BHP Fiat 2.3 litre engine
- It could climb even the steepest mountain roads in 2nd gear
- It rattled a little, but certainly less than the UK Coachbuilt motorhome that we previously hired
- The bathroom contained a combined shower with curtain. To our great surprise this was usable for occasional use. The curtain did not stick to us whilst showering as we had feared.
- The dark coloured van is very anonymous and we felt comfortable leaving in French town centres without fear or ticketing or theft
Pilote Motorhomes Fr
Pilote Foxy Van