So at last we are back home in Switzerland. We had just over 4 days in Stockholm Sweden on our marathon mini break weekend.
There was the usual scramble to turn off the security and alarm systems and then we could take a bit of a rest.
Leaving was difficult
After leaving our fantastic apartment in Stockholm for the last time we had to find a place for the recycling!
Our morning plan to visit the armoury at the Royal Palace was cancelled because on arrival there it was packed with /other/ tourists. Really!
In such a circumstance we headed to Church ...
We visited Clara church
We had a nice time admiring the sights.
The church was actually very noisy inside, a combination of the faithful and also a large number of homeless people seeking attention and assistance.
Finally we boarded the non stop bus to Arlanda Airport. Stockholm we miss you!
Quick Notes on Sweden
- We did not show our passports once leaving or entering Switzerland or Sweden. Not at all sure why!
- Fast trains or coaches link Arlanda airport to Stockholm centre
- Swedish people speak excellent English, much more comprehensively than in Switzerland
- The Stockholm marathon course is quite hilly. There are over 15000 runners. That is a huge number
- Sweden is as expensive as Switzerland, and Switzerland is most expensive. We can only think of Norway as a more expensive country in Europe.
- There are lots of normal European shops. We did not detect any suspicious business/ retail cartels, so for example the Food sector is competitive.
- Stockholm has a City bike scheme and comprehensive cycle paths throughout
- The weather we experienced at end May/June was about 20 degrees C and mostly dry
- Alcohol to take home is only available from Government shops with limited opening hours
Trip Efficiency Rating
+++ Apartment was fantastic
+ Marathon results OK
++ No injuries
+ Did not buy any clothes or stuff!
+ Stockholm is very walk-able city
+ Old Samsung Camera worked a treat
+ We used the Swiss Cantonal holiday to make best use of our time
- Marcus took too many clothes
- Did not use the City bicycles
- No time for swimming
- We forgot to start the dishwasher
--- 4 days was too short. 1 week would have been much better.
We had a wonderful and safe time in Stockholm and would recommend it to you.
00 Journey to Sweden
01 First Day in Stockholm
02 Marathon Day
03 Walking Stockholm
04 Stockholm Museums