Wednesday, May 07, 2014

When Form almost follows Function



Subtitle: Sandisk Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 drive

Well it will not win any prizes for beauty but overall I am delightfully happy with my new fast 64GB USB key.

I spoke about not being able to find any suitable key only this February, so imagine my surprise when I came across this product.






I chose the 64GB version.  Surprisingly I could not find this in Switzerland so I had to have it shipped to another country and reposted.  What a palava!

I did also consider the 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro but the keyring hole does not look convincing.





It is a USB 3 drive as can be seen from the colour of the connector



 It has an all important integrated keyring holder.  Fantastic #1



It has a retractable end which using a slide, so there is no key to lose. Fantastic #2

Now as I have said the key is not beautiful but it is far from ugly.   So it has



  • A 64GB capacity
  • Fast performance as we will see below (read/ write speed easily exceeds 100MB/sec)
  • Retractable end without cap
  • Attachable to keyring
  • Not ugly, actually pretty good looking
  • Reasonably priced  (say 50GBP)
  • You need the Extreme version, the regular key is slower



Performance Evaluation
















Overall then the Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive is proving to be a very good purchase.

In keeping with my pledge to never keep too much crap: We will keep this USB key, another for backup, one for Agata and we endeavour to gift away all our old USB keys.  Anybody?

Recommended.



Links

Holding onto eSATA
Still searching for the Key




#USB #usbkey