Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bicycle Assembly Day 1

This is a continuation of the story of the upgrade/ rebuild of my pretty ancient Condor Bicycle

Whilst I'm no expert you can follow this guide to see what you might need to do for a self build.

The Frame Arrives

The Dedacciai DR15 frame aka Ribble HF83 arrived quite quickly from Ribble.  I ordered an extra headset and rear Derailleur bracket  (hangar) for future replacements  (counting that in future times these parts would not be available).

It took less than 1 week to arrive and postage very reasonable.

Since we live in Switzerland we paid no UK VAT and instead paid the 8% Swiss VAT and administration charge.


So I found the bearing race broken.  After 1 telephone call, 3 emails and 4 days of waiting Ribble [unbelieveably] replied that it was /normal/ for them to break the bearing race because it did not fit well!

I did Google this amazing response and find indeed the practice is not unique to Ribble.

So I guess Ribble is claiming the bearing is not broken just fractionally too small to fit over the fork.  Instead then with some emery paper I sanded down the fork a little and since I had ordered a spare headset bearing  I was able to push that one down the spare one onto the base of the fork.  I am quite sure my solution is superior.  Their cut and sharp bearing edges would surely just scrape against the other bearing face?  Causing Damage in the long term?  If this is really a common practice then IMHO it is a poor one.

Front wheel and fork on
None of my carbon spacers had arrived so I made a sandwich of spare headsets to approximate the correct handlebar height.   This is necessary as otherwise when you cut the cable sheathes you will get the wrong length (i.e from the exit of the handlebar lever to the entry to the frame)

Front Mech and Rear Mech On
I fitted the front and rear mech or dérailleur.  Not connected to anything yet.   I had ordered a cheap Centaur unit  but found from my old 2010 Condor a Shimano Dura Ace 7900 braze on unit.  I'll fit that and if there is some incompatibility fall back to the Centaur later.

 I found the Cinelli Neo Morph  carbon handlebar which have some nice tracks to hold cables, as well as an enlarged top section for easier riding.

oops Spacers
As noted above

The Carbon spacers did not arrive so in desperation I used some alternative spacers!   Headsets.  At the time of writing 10 days later still nothing, so you'll see in later pictures I had to go and buy some temporary metal items from local shops which I will then have to replace later. grrrr.

oops Seatpost

When I took the original seatpost out I found that I had previously cut it short to save weight. Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Since the new frame is much shorter I need a longer post. Oops.

I found that Agata's bike has the worlds longest seatpost! No problem then, I thought I would swap.  I put mine into her bike BUT

When I tried to attach my carbon seat to her post for placing into my bike it did not work.

Then I discovered that Carbon seats typically have thicker seatpost rails.  And that some designs (like this one) won't accommodate.  So until a new seatpost arrives I am stuck!

[Actually above shows the damaged old seat temporarily to be mounted, and I am still trying to figure out where I ordered it from.  New branded solid Carbon seats are usually about 300 GBP, this is an unbranded one, but from where!]

Oops Front Brake
Brakes have a protruding screw that goes through the frame and is secured using a sleeve.

My sleeve was too short!  So I can't attach the front brake and thus can't cable it until a longer sleeve that I just emergency ordered arrives.  Grrrrr.

Internal Cabling - part 1
I've never done internal cabling before!

Internal cabling means that the 2 gear cables and rear brake cable go into the bicycle frame and emerge close to where they are needed i.e. at the front mech, the rear mech and the rear brake.

The frame came with some hollow plastic cables already threaded.  So I came to the conclusion that you put your cable inside them, then when you cable safely pokes out the end you can pull this outer plastic sleeve away.

The handlebar lever is a complex bit of kit.  I put the brake and gear cable in first then screwed the unit to the handlebar

Here a lever  mounted but cables not yet threaded.

The brake cable is fat and the mech cables are thin!

I ordered a genuine Campagnolo cabling kit by the way

When you try to cable you realise its not so simple.  You have to put on the outer sheath coming out of the lever and then feed the cable into the frame, via the plastic sheath.

BUT you don't really know how long to make the outer sheaths until you have the handlebar height established!  And you can't really do that until the seat is on and the bike ready to go.

SO, I made so guesses based on the heights of the previous bicycle.  If I am wrong I'll need to order another cabling kit because I cut the outer sheaths with wire cutters etc.

Day1 summary

That is the end of day 1.  I found 3 cockups (spacers, seatpost, brake sleeve) which mean an emergency order to Wiggle in the UK for more parts which means a delay of another 4 days at least.

Apart from that things seems to be going well.  Nothing incompatible yet!

Parts List and Links
Ribble HF83 Frame
Ribble Forks
Deda Zero Stem
Cinelli Handlebar
Front Mech Centaur
Calliper Fixing Nut Long
Capagnolo Cabling