Wednesday, April 09, 2014

The Move to 2.5 inches




Whilst the Corporate Server marketplace has already moved to 2.5" Hard Disk storage, Marcus has been slower to act.

Despite all the hype, 3.5 inch hard disks really do store a lot more data than their 2.5" counterparts.

As I remarked in March  we should soon have 6TB drives that we can actually buy  (although sadly I write this in April and we are still not there ... quite yet).

But for home Power users we now have the chance to create a setup with


a) A powerful deskside server
b) A Server with only 2.5" local hard disks
c) Backend Storage  (e.g. Network Attached Storage NAS)  with 3.5" hard disks

Aside: There are some NAS e.g. QNAP HS-210  which can take slimline i.e. not even all form factor 2.5" SATA.  Quite what is the point?  Why not a reduced bay 3.5" NAS if space really is so critical?



As a test I'm migrating the Virtualisation Server I re-built recently to see how it works out in practice.


 Goodbye to 6TB of Internal 3.5" storage



I'm not sure if you can see but afterwards it is much cleaner inside!

I will try running the Virtualisation testing from 1TB spinning or smaller SSD stored in the wonderful Icy Dock 4 bay cage which dates back to 2011.

Now if I had a lot of money I would of course consider upgrading the whole infrastruture to a smaller system with just enough space for a Server motherboard, PCI slots and 2.5" drives.

But this kind of motherboard and case does not really exist at the moment, although I did notice the new Supermicro Motherboard configurator can help with motherboard selection  (E-ATX sizing is 12x13 inches by the way!)

I'll report back later as to whether this configuration is fast enough i.e. with the move to 2.5" drives from 3.5" and a reliance on external Network Attached Storage.


Links
QNAP NAS systems
Supermicro Motherboard Configurator
Lian Li Current E-ATX cases