Sunday, March 09, 2014

Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Videos ... be GONE



Have you noticed that in My Computer file explorer in Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012  Microsoft has unhelpfully added a set of /crappy/ icons as shown above.

I got rid of them before,  but after applying a service pack they re-appeared.

So I'm outlining the removal procedure here, which I guess I will have to apply yet again

[Aside: I don't use the Windows offered Downloads/ Pictures/ Videos etc locations, because I keep the boot C: clean.  Just the OS and applications.   I don't choose to store any of my data there,  but put it on another drive.]

Windows Key + R and run regedit

Trundle down to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

I mean explicity

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace



This is how mine looked prior to surgery

Now delete these keys:




And exit Regedit.

No reboot is necessary

And now we see this ...  (control-R will refresh window)





Ah so beautiful again.