Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What is that on your wrist?



I have a small confession to make.   I own a Smartphone.

Amongst other things this has an excellent and accurate clock.  And here, at random are the first 10 items I came across this morning with a clock


  1. Bedroom Alarm Clock
  2. Philips wake up light
  3. My Computer
  4. Tablet
  5. Smartphone
  6. iPod
  7. Muji weather station
  8. Microwave
  9. Car dashboard
  10. Wall-clock



So you know what, I don't really need a wrist watch to tell the time anymore.

However, something more than a watch, let us call it a Smart Watch might find a place on my wrist.

I've already commented on how I really don't need something on my wrist that can show me [albeit illegibly] something from my phone like SMS, emails   or alert me to some Smartphone activity.   For that, I'd just refer to my phone directly.  Doh!

But for the purposes of health monitoring and generally data capture from my body   (as opposed to data display from my Smartphone)  I am ALL IN.

The Angel device above has sensors for 

Pulse, Temperature, Blood Oxyyen

transmitting (via Bluetooth 4) to your Smartphone.

So to refer back to my earlier Article.  My list of essential sensors is


  • A primary ability to clearly display the time - it is a watch right?
  • Bluetooth connectivity - user should not have to plug it in to upload data from all of the sensors listed below
  • Heart Rate Monitor
  • Compass / GPS
  • Accelerometer
  • Altimeter
  • Skin Temperature sensor and ambient temperature sensor
  • Vibrator - to wake you gently from sleep state

So the 'Angel' device would be great if it was available now and actually worked.

However as users of the Basis watch have learnt  (12 months late and questionable accuracy) the road from concept to production is lined with more obstacles than just funding.

So I'm still waiting for a decent wrist health monitor, but I firmly believe this is a huge untapped and useful marketplace.  Major vendors [Apple/ Samsung/ an.other] please take note.


One last thing, since I don't believe in Angels I find the name inappropriate, but I am probably in the minority.


Links
Angel Project
Buy this watch
Designing a Smart Watch
2012 Smart Watch Survey
Nike designer leaves to A*?





http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/angel--2