In true, over the top, positive American tradition I post this happy photograph above. Unfortunately the reality is that since early Tuesday February 26th I have been as
Sick as a dog
At first I thought it might be food poisoning but as the hot and cold flushes began to show, and my temperature rose above the normal 37 degrees Centigrade, I concluded flu.
I checked Mr Internet and found my symptoms
fever, sore throat, runny nose, headache, cough, body aches and pains, hot and cold flushes, lack of taste
According to WebMD :
So what did I learn?
- I think the main factor is sustained lack of sleep. According the BBC: Bad sleep negatively alters body
I am entitled to more sleep
- If you threaten to come to work whilst sick; any co-workers with young kids will plan to kill you.
- I don't realistically have one or even two weeks to get better. Who wrote that!
- I spent hours Wednesday morning Feb 27 about 10cms from a 1.5KW ceramic fan heater sweating it out. Then Wednesday night I used Agata as my heater. Almost as warm! So you see, I do have a very HOT wife :-)
- Our current UltraMarathon training plan for a forthcoming race is in jeopardy. It was all going so well: over 100Km ran last week in conditions down to -7 degrees C.
- After waiting > 3 hours in hospital this Friday. The staggering conclusion: Yes, you have severe Flu! Yes, thanks for that.
Bad sleep negatively alters body