After the sad passing away of roombie our faithful blind and slightly clumsy cleaner I am delighted to announce the arrival of, daughter of roombie: roombette.
Before roombie was packaged up for his well earned retirement in our basement to spend his eternity in Silicon heaven we gave Roombette a chance to get to know her predecessor.
Roombette seems like a worthwhile upgrade and before the infamous 10 pm "be quiet" Swiss watershed she was running around the lounge doing her cleaning thing. How did she do?
- More solidly constructed than before
- There was a gap in the Roomba Scheduler body meaning that when the dust bin became full(ish) dirt would start to enter the Electronics area. This is now better sealed.
- Yes she cleans very nicely just like Roombie did
- Slightly taller, but only fractionally
- Biggest upgrade is that there are infrared sensors on the front of the unit so that as she approaches a wall she does not blindly bump into it. Unfortunately for free standing obstacles, at least 50% of the time the infra red does not detect anything so for example she still bumped into the legs of our sofa and dumbell weights (ouch).
- Much quieter
- We got the 530 not the 560 as previously speced due to the much cheaper cost. The 530 comes with 1 virtual wall and no remote control. The remote control on the previous unit was for scheduled cleaning, say whilst you were on holiday. We never really used that feature so we think the new cheaper simpler unit fits our more basic needs better.
- The existing walls from our old Roomba scheduler work with the 530, so actually we have 3 working walls now.