Sunday, August 04, 2013

Sunday Sermon:Religious Tolerance in my Lifetime




As I switched on the [Internet] Television this evening I stumbled upon a documentary about Dan Brown's novel 

The Da Vinci Code

The documentary pointed out how annoyed the Catholic church were about the films premise.

That Jesus had in fact partered with Mary Magdalene and had children with her.  And that those children's descendants were the Merovinian Kings of France.

Should I be a devout Christian I can imagine that I would have been greatly offended by this assertion and I can imagine that should Christianity have any violent tendencies then the safety and even life of Dan Brown might be called into question.

Meanwhile, in my lifetime the British Author Salman Rushdie received a totally different treatment for his 1988 book.   To quote Wikipedia:

In the United Kingdom, The Satanic Verses received positive reviews, was a 1988 Booker Prize Finalist (losing to Peter Carey's Oscar and Lucinda) and won the 1988 Whitbread Award for novel of the year. However, major controversy ensued as conservative Muslims accused it of blasphemy and mocking their faith. The outrage among some Muslims resulted in afatwā calling for Rushdie's death issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the Supreme Leader of Iran, on 14 February 1989.



So what can I deduce?

Based on the evidence of it's followers [that is of Dan's Brown's continued liberty] one can resoundly conclude that the followers of Christianity can surely be held to be


  • More tolerant
  • Abhorrent of violence
  • Not prone to over reaction
  • Knowing the difference between fact and fiction


Not all religions then are created equal.  And in this sentence I would stress just one word: created.


Links
Dan Brown Da Vinci Code